Saturday, July 04, 2009

The City I live In

From as early as I can remember, I wanted to live in Tel-Aviv. As a kid growing up in Israel, you realize quickly that there's a "cool" factor attached to certain cities, and an "uncool" factor attached to others...
But as long as I was a kid in my parents home, I was to live where they decided to...
For a few years we were living in the "uncool" cities, and then for most of my teenage years we lived in a fairly "cool" one...

So what's so "cool" about Tel Aviv? Well, let me put it this way, this city is a combination of NY, L.A., and Paris all wrapped in to one.
It's the city that never sleeps, with the beaches that are always full, with a million little coffee shops, and little boutiques and shops; It's a city with many parks, doggy parks, and car parks; There are great high-rises where the wealthiest reside, and low shacks where the true urbanites and struggling artists live; There's magnificent boulevards like Ben-Gurion and Rothschild, and fantastic artsy, hip streets like Sheinkin, Bugrashov and Nahalat Binyamin; There's the quiet north of Tel Aviv, where the Crème De La Crème prefer to live, the busy hectic center of Tel Aviv, where most of the action happens 24/7, and then there is the old-renewed south, where you'll find neighbourhoods such as Neve Tzedek, The American Colony, and Florentine.

And there's Jafa, or Yafo as we call it in our native tongue.
Yafo is part of Tel Aviv, it is a city connected to a city, and to be completely correct, one must call it Tel Aviv-Yafo and not just Tel Aviv. I am fortunate enough to be living in very close proximity to the heart of Yafo. It is always alive with people- tourists, surfers, beach-goers, market shoppers, and vendors. Walking in Yafo you get a mix of scents- the smell of fresh sea water, the smell of the fish from the old Yafo port, the smell of food from restaurants and street corner sellers, and the smell of fresh Turkish coffee from the little cafe's.
To me Yafo is a true gem!

Here is just a tiny little glimps at some of Tel Aviv-Yafo images. I promise more will come soon!

old South Tel Aviv
The American Colony neigbourhood
The beach
the old & rustic in South Tel Aviv
The coffee shops

Violin player at a street coffee shop

Yafo- the port

13 comments:

luthien said...

what beautiful pictures talis and what an absolutely intriguing place to live in. and artists' gem i must say :) thank you for sharing with us these lovely pictures of your home :)

TheEye said...

you write so well ... a pleasure to read and a joy to look at the marvellous photos... I love the yafo port photos... sounds like an interesting place

vintagebesograim said...

This is the kind of blog I really enjoy! I am so glad you found me! Your visit brought me here and I already put your blog in my favorites!

Nice to meet you!!

Expressions By Devin said...

Those are some amazing pictures. You blog was so enjoyable to read i am following you now and will be back to read more!!!

Mana Moon Studios said...

Oh Tali this is exquisite!! I never realized Tel-Aviv was such a wonderful location and offered so much to so many! This beautiful city has now joined the list of must visit places for our family - thank you!♥

Bead Up said...

beautiful pictures!

lilacpop said...

How lucky you are to live in a city that you adore so much! What a great place. Your photos are amazing and the juxtaposition is perfect. Great post!

Catherine said...

Your city sounds so enticing with its exotic mix of sights, sounds and smells!! Just the sort of place I'd love to visit!

artangel said...

It sounds like an amazing place - your words and photos really brought it to life for me Tali! I love the "old and rustic" photo especially - beautiful!

Tammy said...

Hi Tali, I would never have known anything of Tel-Aviv/Yafo, had you not posted here. I have to say that it is nothing as I had imagined it. I love it! You are such an eloquent writer. I am so glad you are a part of the Inspiration Team. It's lovely to meet you and to see your world through your eyes. Love your photography!
Tammy

Inspiration Avenue said...

So happy to have you as a member of our team!! What a beautiful city you live in - so fortunate we have you to share it with us!

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

The photos here have such a feel to them! They tell a story of where you have been!

Dawn said...

I love to read and see where others live in all parts of the world - thanks so much for your post and I will enjoy following your blog of beautiful photography and your life's adventures!

Dawn

ShareThis