Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My Favorite Subject to Photograph


Over the years of my photographic growth I have shifted my interests... I am a big believer in the notion that things happen to you in life for a reason, and you meet people, go places, see things that lead you to the path you're supposed to be on.

I started my whole photographic love, interest, journey (call it as you may) while travelling, so naturally, in the beginning of my path, I wanted to be one of National Geographic's photographers (I wasn't shooting high at all, aye?!). That didn't go very far, since after my 9 months of travelling, I kinda' settled down in places...
Then in Los Angeles, when I had just began my photo studies, I was dating a surfer, and as a good girlfriend I'd go down to the beach with him whenever it was possible, and sit down with my long Tele-Photo lens and try to capture his moves on the board. I'm not sure if it was my idea, or the idea was put in my head by someone else (hmmm... I wonder who...), but I then decided I was going to be a Sports Photographer.
But as time went by, and I was progressing with my photo studies, I began to realize I was much happier in the studio, controlling my scene. So, as soon as the surfer was out of my life, so was the need to shoot sports.
I studied photography for 3 years in total, trying out different fields, cameras, mediums, shooting environments, and at my last semester, while focusing on my desired field, I created a portfolio of products. Those were my pride and joy!
I graduated college and with my head up high, and a lot of hopes, I began my search for work in the field. But I quickly hit a wall. I was not allowed to work in the States unless I was hired by a company to sponsor me, and in that field of work, you don't usually get permanently hired, rather work on projects as a freelance. I was shuttered! There I was, with my professors just waiting to refer me to various clients, and yet unable to do so because of the work permit issue. I knew my only chance was to find a company that would hire me while sponsoring me for a work visa. I kept searching all over and finally found something... I had found a job at a local clothing company. I was their product photographer. Sounds exciting? Well, not really. The company was online-based. The clothing were plus-size (and mostly floral print!). The model was a plus-size mannequin (!!). My job consisted of steaming the cloths, dressing the mannequin, adjusting the lights, shooting, undressing the mannequin, steaming the cloths... and at the end of it all, Photoshop corrections, and upload to the website. EXCITING! not...
The one good thing that I had there, was a coved studio. When I was hired I had convinced my boss to create a cove-like connection between the wall and the floor, and so I had this great space in a huge warehouse where I could shoot, and the best part was that I could use it for my own needs outside of business hours (!!)
Around that time a good friend of mine was expecting her first born. She was 9 months in, and so beautiful & glowing, I just had to capture that on film (actually memory card, as this was a digital shoot, but you get my drift). I invited her and her husband to "my" studio and we had the best time! Those photos came out brilliant, and I suddenly fell in-love with the whole concept of photographing expecting parents.
After that I started photographing a few more expecting couples that were referred to me by friends, and with each photo shoot I did I realized THIS was what I wanted to do!
I continued on this path in Canada, until times were hard (money-wise) and I had to shift gears away from photography in order to live a decent life.
Now, as I am back home in Israel, and finally settling down in a comfortable place in my life, I am ready and excited to get back in to business- Photographing expecting moms and dads, brothers, sisters, and anyone who smiles!


a few of my favorite product shots

my amazing friends, and first expecting couple I have ever shot

11 comments:

luthien said...

wow! that was a fantastic journey! you have the coolest way of describing life... your life... i am totally enthralled!

Cat Ludwig Studio said...

i am blown away by your work. it is stunning! i am so glad you started a blog to share your gift with others.

Mana Moon Studios said...

It's wonderful to read about your journey Tali! I know when I took up selling my jewelry online it was a huge undertaking learning how to get the best photo I possibly could. I never imagined having to learn angles, lighting, and Photoshop but it's a great tool under my belt.

I have such admiration for photographers as despite my ability to take a wonderful photo of my work I still lack the abilities of photographing anything else.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Jessica said...

Thank you for sharing your journey Tali!

cabin + cub said...

Great photos and very cute etsy shop! ;)

artangel said...

Your photographs of the couple are stunning Tali - really personal and special - what a lovely series of pictures for the couple to keep and eventually show their children!

Dawn (Dandy) said...

Absolutely gorgeous.

Dionne said...

Ah the sponsorship thing. Yep, that can be hard to get. Fortunately for me I was able to find a sponsor to employ me in the US to do Graphic Design, so I moved out here through that - but I have heard for others that it's been a real struggle.

Your photos are awesome. You have a great eye!

TheEye said...

lovely photos! You have a clear vision and a great way of storytelling.

Pam said...

Wow what an exciting life you've had so far, your photography is beautiful!

thecraftbegins said...

Wow, beautiful photos!

ShareThis