Monday, August 10, 2009

Ingrid says it best

I have discovered Ingrid Michaelson a few years back at the end of a very emotional "Gray's Anatomy" episode. The song was Keep Breathing and it left a huge impression in my mind and in my heart, and I could relate. I of course became a HUGE fan, and started listening to all her songs, reading carefully each word in her lyrics sheets, soaking in and absorbing the emotions that came out of the written words, and then her echoing voice from her CD's.

When we were nearing our wedding, just a little less than a year ago, we were faced with the task of finding THE song for our first dance as a Mr. & Mrs. and we both knew that Ingrid was the answer. It was The Way I Am that seamed most fitting to us, as we both believed we loved each other just the way we are...
Even though it's been a few weeks now since the decision to divorce has been decided, today's events, which for now I shall keep to myself, have brought me to a point that it is only now completely over, and today is the first day of my new path.
Ironically, or appropriately, you decide, I found just the right words in Ingrid's lyrics

Starting Now (click to hear the song)

I want to crawl back inside my mother's womb
I want to shut out all the lights in this room
I want to start fresh, like a baby in a sink
Scrub away all these thoughts that i think of you

So life moves slowly when you're waiting for it to boil
Feel like i watch from 6 feet under the soil
Still want to hold you and kiss behind your ears
But i re count the countless tears that i lost for you

But before you finally go there's one thing you should know: That I promise -

Starting now I'll never know your name
Starting now I'll never feel the same
Starting now I wish you never came into my world.

I want to crawl back inside my bed of sin
I want to burn the sheets that smell like your skin
Instead I'll wash them just like kitchen rags with stains
Spinning away every piece that remains of you.

But before you finally go there's one thing you should know: That I promise -

Starting now I'll never know your name
Starting now I'll never feel the same
Starting now I wish you never came into my world.

It's my world, it's not ours anymore
It's my world, it's not ours anymore

7 comments:

Joy White said...

a new day awaits, be open and strong.

the Lost Earring said...

There are some artists I have trouble listening to because of associations with people from the past.

So cool that you found a song by that same artist-a song that you can associate with an entirely new period in your life :)

Girl Felt Food said...

...two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference...

Mana Moon Studios said...

Ingrid's music is beautiful and so familiar although I believe it's only because her style is so similar to what I love most. I would have left the quote from Robert Frost (my favorite) but Girl Felt Food beat me to it. ♥

Hey Harriet said...

They're great lyrics! I'd heard and liked that song before but didn't know the name of the artist! I'm hopeless with names! Your life ahead will be filled with many wonderful and happy times. You'll see! :)

Erin said...

Oh my goodness I am so sorry I had no idea what you are going through. I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason - so even when things seem so awful - you will always be fine. I hope things turn up for you really soon :)

Erin

lixue said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://disturbialyrics.net

ShareThis