Saturday, January 30, 2010

Trifle


My friend Naftul, who is just about 9 months pregnant, celebrated her baby's upcoming arrival with an afternoon baby shower today (photos will be posted next time). To help her out I decided to take charge of the sweets department, and so yesterday I spent most of my afternoon in the kitchen. I made Trifle!! And if I can tout my own horn here, it was damn good :)
Here's the recipe, and some photos...

2 pkg  fresh strawberries
2 pkg instant vanilla pudding
4 cups milk (I use 1% milk)
150 gr cream cheese
350 gr Mascarpone cheese
2 cups fresh strong brewed coffee (at room temp)
1 pkg whipping cream
2 tbsp casters sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 pkg Lady Fingers
Bitter-sweet chocolate, shaved

Cut the strawberries in halves, leaving 3-4 perfectly shaped ones for garnish.
In a lg. mixing bowl combine the milk & instant pudding and beat for a minute or two until smooth. In a separate bowl beat the cream cheese with the Mascarpone until smooth. Add 2-3 tbsp of coffee and mix well. Add the pudding and beat until well combined. In another bowl, beat the whipping cream with the vanilla extract and casters sugar until thick and creamy. Fold the whipped cream in to the pudding-cream cheese mixture and stir until smooth.
On a square oven pan spread the Lady Fingers and drip the coffee over them to moisten.
In a large trifle or glass serving bowl spread a bottom layer of the lady fingers. Top that with a layer of half the strawberries. Spread half the amount of the chocolate shaves. Top that with half the amount of the cream mixture. Repeat all three layers again. On top, place a few of the whole strawberries you saved, for garnish.
Should be refrigerated before serving (you can prepare a day ahead of time and refrigerate over night)

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Amie McCracken said...

That looks so yummy! Can you make some more and ship it to me in Germany? Hee hee.

priti.lisa said...

YUM! Kind of like a Tiramisu with strawberries!

the Lost Earring said...

Oh my! It looks damn good ;) I wasn't sure what "casters sugar" is, but I googled it and it's sold as "super fine" here in the US. Thanks for sharing. Bookmarked :)

Tammy said...

It looks divine, Tali. Such lovely presentation and perfect for a baby shower.
Xo,
Tammy

Marianne Lozano said...

looks delish! might have to try to make it :)

Dionne said...

It's a pity this isn't mailable, hehehe - I would love to try it!

Shannon of ** Happiness Is...** said...

Mmmmmm.....delicious!! I didn't even know what trifle was until now :) Thanks for enlightening me - haha. What a nice friend you are. And thank you for your support and encouraging words on my blog...means the world to me. xoxo

Bri said...

Ooh this looks delicious! thanks for sharing that recipe. And the photos are great as well!

ShareThis