Friday, February 26, 2010

Costume up

images found here

This weekend is a holiday in Israel. Well, it's a holiday around the world wherever there are Jewish people celebrating. It's called Purim (pronounced poo-rim) and most people LOVE this holiday. I am one of the few who don't. I don't think I ever really did like this holiday.Why is it you ask? Well, it's pretty simple. It's a holiday that revolves around dressing up in costumes, and that's exactly what I don't like. In fact, looking back at Purim photos from my younger years I hardly ever appear smiling in them (but I must say I've had some really cool costumes back then...)
In recent years I've come to either ignore the holiday and all the costume parties that come along with it, or start dreading it a week in advance, busting my brains trying to think of a cool, yet comfortable & not too crazy of a costume, only to get to the last hour before needing to head out, standing in front of my closet (or better yet, a friends closet) trying to make a mix & match of cloths that will end up as some sort of a costume. It was never really good...
I wish I could tell you this year it's different and that I have learned from the past, but I can not tell you that. I'm sitting here on a Friday night with no costume in sight, and the party I'm supposed to go to is tomorrow night. Now you're probably going to suggest I'd head out to the shops first thing in the morning to buy something, BUT before you do so, I'll inform you in-case you did not know, that here in Israel all the shops are closed between Friday at 4pm and until Saturday around 7 or 8pm.
Could you possibly help??? I would love your suggestions for building something out of every day cloths that I might have. Comment if you have something in mind :)

Here are a couple of somewhat successful "wing-it" costumes from my years in Los Angeles


2 comments:

Amie McCracken said...

But the Hamantaschen cookies! Oh, I'm going to miss my mom's Hamantaschen.

Got some rags? Or maybe a rag skirt? Make your hair ratty, dress up in rags, and go as a gypsy! With some fancy gold bangles on your arms.

Joy White said...

If there is one thing that I really don't like to do it would be dressing up in costumes. Not really sure why, even as a child it wasn't my thing. I do, however, enjoy seeing the package of Hamantschen we receive every year from my "special someone's" cousin.

ShareThis