Saturday, May 01, 2010

The Blue Line

A couple of weeks ago my someone and I went down to the Yafo flea market looking for the perfect dining table. We were looking for a vintage piece, but we had a hard time finding something that fits our specific space. You see, our living-room and kitchen are both in one big space, and we wanted something that will not crowed up that space, and could also act up as a divider for the two areas. We have some limitations of space as we have a big coach and we also have a big fridge that we needed to account for space needed for the fridge's door to open wide. Lucky for us we stumbled upon the perfect table, with the perfect dimensions, and to top it all, it's a vintage piece! (it's got the stickers on the bottom to prove it!). The top of the table was the original wood finish, and we had it custom covered with light blue Formica and a white stripe on the top, about a third of the width of the table. (kinda' like the old long-boards...). When we brought it home it looked a bit odd in it's new place, and we felt we needed to do something more to accentuate the differentiation between the kitchen and the living-room. The white stripe is what gave us the answer. We decided to paint a light blue stripe on the wall and ceiling in the same location of the white stripe. We carried the stripe all the way from the bottom to the top, and then all the way on the ceiling to the opposite side.
It wasn't an easy task, as we had to measure all the way through on the ceiling and make sure our line is straight and that it maintains the same width all the way through. Add to that the fact that we are both two midgets, and we only had a 3-step ladder with ceilings that are about 260 cm high (!!)
My someone did the measuring and taping, and I did the painting, and if I can say so myself, I think we did a fine job! What do you think...?


 
taping up the lines

midgets on a 3-step ladder


me, painting

all done!


P.S. Bri, you see, my someone is not always shirtless... :)

8 comments:

Amie McCracken said...

Very cool Tali. I love it.

andrea said...

that is the coolest idea ever! i never would've thought of that. it looks really really good!

have a great weekend :)

Ooty said...

How clever!!
Looking great =)

the southern hostess said...

I love how it turned it out! Beautiful.

LuLu Kellogg said...

Tali, this was such a clever idea. I love the pictures of the feet!!

The table is way cool.

Love,
LuLu♥

Kristen said...

Looks beautiful as do you, Tali!

Kristen x

Shannon of ** Happiness Is...** said...

Nice vintage table! And the line is such a perfect way to separate the space - never would have thought that up! :) xo

katescarlett said...

That is so cool. I'm renovating my house at the moment on a budget, and I love that table. It's given me an idea to find one simular and get the top covered off white - cos it will be difficult to find one as perfect as yours! It;s great how you thought outside the box, and also you had fun doing it!! bravo from Kate in Brisbane.xox

ShareThis