Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The balloons mission

On Sunday afternoon my someone and I headed on a mission. A balloons mission. A photography mission.
It all starts with You See i See. As you all know, each week I have a new photography assignment to complete for my collaborative blog. This week was no exception. The lovely Dionne is responsible for this weeks' subject which was (I'm sure you all can guess...) balloons.
My someone and I have brainstormed ideas beforehand, and then scheduled Sunday afternoon as our shooting day (since we both had it free of work/school). I decided that we'll do the shoot at the Slope Park in Yafo because of the green hills, as well as the water front. I've searched for a near-by place where we could buy helium-filled balloons but I couldn't find anywhere that was close enough by foot. In fact, the only place we could come up with was the Happening store at Dizengoff Center, which is about 15-20 minutes drive from Yafo. Now if we had a car then this would have been a minor detail, cause nothing could happen to the balloons in a closed car... But we don't have a car. We have a motorbike...
We got to the store, picked out 5 balloons (red, green, pink, yellow & blue), all tied in ribbons and fully filled with helium. We tied them real good to the back of our bike, and headed along the sea line towards Yafo. All was good until half way there when suddenly we heard a VERY load popping sound. I looked back at the bundle of balloons to find out the green one didn't make it. I thought it popped because perhaps we were driving too fast, so I slowed my someone down, and so we continued in a slower pace into Yafo. Then, as we were standing in a small traffic jam by Yafo's clock tower, we heard it again- a VERY load popping sound. My heart dropped. I looked back to see which one it was. The yellow balloon. I was starting to worry none of them will make it, as I couldn't tell what it was that made them pop. I must say though, that everyone surrounding us on the street were quite amused by the balloon popping, and they were smiling and yelling out to us to pop another one... Needless to say I wasn't amused...
Thankfully ten minutes later we were parked and ready to shoot, with the remaining three balloons- pink, red and blue. It was a bit too windy, yet we managed to get some good shots. All in all it was a successful shooting day, but mostly, it was a fun day. There is something so freeing, so innocent, so joyful, about holding a balloon in your hand. I recommend you try it sometime :)
Here are some of the snaps we got











8 comments:

Amie McCracken said...

I love the marbling on the balloons. Looks like you had fun after the popping. Great photos.

Shannon of ** Happiness Is...** said...

Oooh, beautiful shots Tali. Ha - I was expecting the end of the story to be just one balloon left ;) xo

P.S. I have a giveaway today!

kiks said...

Oh i love these photos so much! My favorite is the photo of your someone with his back to you looking out over the ocean holding the balloons - precious!

Ooty said...

=D lucky you've got three left in your hands =D It is like my girl's never ending love and hate relationship with balloons =)
Beautiful images as always.

Dionne said...

Oh how fun! I am glad that at least 3 survived, lol. Looks like a fun shoot, and the pics look great!

LuLu Kellogg said...

Lovely images Tali! My favorite one is the shadow one where you are both holding hands and the shadow of the balloon looks like a heart♥

Joy White said...

great photos Tali, can't say that I have a favorite I really like all of them!! I must say it sure looks like you and your someone are something special. xoxo

Melissa said...

I just found your blog and really adore it! The balloon photos are so striking.

ShareThis