Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Head's not here

My head's been everywhere but here this past week.
Things are pretty hectic between my job at the restaurant and my photography. It is wedding season and so I have a few weddings this month that I am shooting along with my friend Dvora, which is great, amazing even, but I am exhausted, physically that is, trying to fit it all in. It's just not possible to work 5 shifts a week, and by shifts I mean 9+ hours on your feet managing the floor at the restaurant, and then add to that my shooting assignments (You See i See weekly shoots), the occasional wedding shoot, and maintaining my blog and my online shop... Exhausting! And the problem is I don't really know how to catch a break from it all, but I really do need one. I need a week, just 7 days, of no assignments, no photoshoots, no WORK at the restaurant or anywhere else for that matter. Just me (and my someone) relaxing. Before I loose my sanity! ...and my back! (I did mention the 5 days a week standing for 9+ hours....)

On another note, last night we had a little scare. It was 9 PM and my someone and I were at home after a long day at work, when my dad rang. (dad lives in Romania...) He said something's wrong with my grandpa, that he cannot get one clear sentence out when he speaks, and my dad was worried he might have had another head stroke (my grandpa had a minor one a few years back, which caused him to not be able to read any more...). I jumped! We both immediately grabbed our stuff and headed out to my grandpa's place. At a first glance he seemed fine, as always, seating on his chair, he smiled at us when he saw us, and even greeted us both. But then when we started asking him questions he was completely out of it. After phone calls to my dad in Romania, and his brother in San Fransisco, and my grandpa's neurologist, we decided he needs to be taken to the hospital for examination. But my grandpa refused to go... enter the persuasion stage... Between my dad and myself we managed to convince him eventually (a mission that took about 30 minutes...). By 10:45 PM we were at the ER waiting to be serviced. They took him in, put him on a gurney, changed his outfit to a hospital gown, measured his fever (which was normal), measured his blood pressure (which has sky-rocketed to 203 !!), and asked him a few general questions (like his age, to which he answered 95, though he's only 85). And then we waited. And waited. Then at 11:30 PM when the doctor said that they are sending him for tests, and that it'll take a few good hours, my someone and I left him with his care-taker (my grandpa has a care-taker living with him 24/7), and told the doctor to call us and let us know if there's any change.
I woke up this morning to find out that my grandpa was released from the ER at 4 AM after they've run some tests on him. They concluded it wasn't another head stroke (Thank god!), and that his disorientation is due to the extremely high blood pressure, for which they've written a treatment suggestion to his family doctor (who will see him later today). They told us that with treatment he should be back to normal within a couple of days.
:: a sigh of relief ::
I love you grandpa and I am anxiously waiting for you to get better!

my grandpa

9 comments:

vicki said...

Hi there! Your blog is lovely. :) Thankyou for sharing about your Grandpa. I hope he's feeling much better and that your workload is a little lighter.

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog!

Ooty said...

Hope Grandpa feels better sooooooooon!!! It is so hard when life seems like a racing rats rote, hopw you'll get your getaway/timeoff soon =)

The Homesteading Apartment said...

I just found your blog and it's lovely (: I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandpa's health, but glad that things are looking better. I'll be praying for you, your family and especially Grandpa...he sounds like a very special guy (:

Michele
XOXO

Dionne said...

That is scary! But I am glad to hear that it wasn't a stroke!

andrea said...

that's so scary! i'm so glad to hear it wasn't anything too serious, though i really hope he gets better! i'll be thinking of you tali :)

Susannah said...

Good to hear he is ok, that sounds like quite a scare. Hope a holiday comes your way soon, you sound so so busy!

Tali Schiffer said...

You ladies are great! Thank you all for the support and concern. I am happy to say that grandpa's doing a lot better today!!

Joy White said...

glad to hear that your Grandpa is doing better. Now you have to take some down time for yourself.

Shannon of ** Happiness Is...** said...

Oh sweetie! Sending healing vibes to you and your Gpa :) xo

ShareThis