Saturday, October 09, 2010

Rolled Recycled Magazine Box - DIY

First off, I'd like to thank you all for your comments and support on my last post. It really did make me feel a lot better!

So while my someone has been away on Reserves, I had some extra free time on my hands, which I thought I'd use for some crafts... There has been one specific craft I've been wanting to try for quite some time, and I finally got the chance to do it.
Many years back, I stumbled upon a garbage bin at Urban Outfitters, that was made out of "sticks" of magazines. It was the coolest ever. They also had picture frames, and place mats made with the same concept. I don't remember why I decided not to buy it then (perhaps it was a bit too pricey...), and I completely forgot about it. Then a couple of weeks ago I saw a bin just like it at a local craft fair. All hand made. This time I realized I could actually do it myself!
So I grabbed a bunch of old magazines, a box I had no use for any more, and got busy :)

I cut off the top flaps.
Then with Japanese tape I covered the top part of my box
I measured the hight of my boxes and cut out the magazine pages to fit.
Using a thin brush I rolled out each sheet.
 
I left about an inch at the end, then brushed it with glue and finished rolling
I created a whole pile of these rolled magazine sticks
 
Once I had the desired amount of sticks, I brushed one side of my box with glue, and then attached the sticks nice and tight. I then completed all 4 sides
And this is what came out :)

9 comments:

Amie McCracken said...

That is awesome. Another one to add to my to-do list!

I'm still collecting toilet paper rolls, need quite a bit more.

brittni said...

Very cool idea. They look like pencils almost. Love it!
-Brittni

Jessica said...

Beautiful! I love this idea :)

Almost Precious said...

You did an excellant job, it looks gorgeous and very professional. I'm all thumbs when it comes to paper and glue, get more glue on me and everything around me than I do on what I'm glueing.

Ooty said...

La la love it, you did great!!

ana said...

this is so great :D thanks for sharing :)

Giovanna ♥ said...

This is lovely! Thanks for sharing!
I’m having a beautiful giveaway on my blog. Come visit me for details :)
Thanks!!
Giovanna
bohomarket.blogspot.com

andrea said...

i'm glad you're feeling better tali :)

i remember seeing this on uo!! there was a round mirror that i really wanted! maybe someday i'll have to make one too. your garbage bin turned out great :)

Shannon of ** Happiness Is...** said...

You rock Tali! This is so fun! :) xo

ShareThis