Friday, December 24, 2010

Home Work - Surprise Project

It's been almost two weeks since my someone left for his reserves service, and he finally came home last night for a 3 day R&R. If you remember I mentioned before that the one good thing about him being away for so long, is that I will have a chance to work on a special surprise for him, and so all week I've been busy at it...
What was the surprise you ask? I completely renovated our bed frame, and I did almost all of it by myself (with the guidance of my someone's dad...). You see, the bed frame used to belong to my someones' parents many years ago until it was passed on to my someone. It wasn't completely my cup of tea, specifically since it was in a golden Pine color (which for some reason screams 80's to me...). I've been contemplating buying a new frame all together until I saw this image on Etsy and was inspired to keep the frame, and just tweak it a bit... Well, completely actually. I painted it all black, using black chalkboard paint, and then on the headboard, with the help of my good friends Einat & Alex, we wrote in 33 languages a little note to my someone... Can you tell what that message is...?
I've been sanding, cleaning, painting, cleaning, painting again, cleaning again, scribbling, varnish spraying, and cleaning A-gain, all week long, until it was finally ready yesterday afternoon, just in time for my someone's arrival.
Here's what I've done, and how I've done it...
Oh, and yes, he LOVED it :)

 The "before" shots
 The only photo I took of myself (on timer & tripod) working

 Before & After sanding
 First coat of chalkboard paint

 The finished look
 Writing with chalk

 Doing my very best we the Hindi writing...

 Einat trying to read the different languages

 Alex & I in writing action





 I tucked the Hebrew in the bottom of his side of the bed


My two busy bees
 from the paper to the headboard!

** Photos taken by myself & my friend Einat :)


8 comments:

Amie McCracken said...

That is excellent Tali. Did you varnish over it so the chalk doesn't rub off? And with what?

Also, random note, but when my husband built our huge log bed he put a sheet of plywood under the mattress, and I wrote little things on there in pencil as like a blessing on our marriage type of thing. So I'm loving what you did here!

ellie said...

Looks beautiful Tali!

laura evans/photography said...

what a wonderful idea ... gorgeous chica! xx

Ooty said...

amazing!

LuLu Kellogg said...

You are the most creative person I know. I love this!

Wishing you peace, love and happiness in 2011 and I am so blessed to have you as my friend.

Love,
LuLu~*xoxo

Torie Jayne said...

So so beautiful!
Wishing you and your family all the best, Happy Holidays x

andrea despot said...

"you are my world." how awesome!! it turned out really great and i love the hebrew tucked in on his side :P

Lynn said...

i've got some major green jiggly jellos over that ahhh-mazing headboard creation. stellar job lades, love it so much! and what a fun series of photos to look through. good stuff. ♥

ShareThis