Monday, October 31, 2011

Wedding plans

Since my someone & I got engaged at the end of August we've been busy planning our upcoming nuptials. The one decision we took straight off was that we'll be splitting it into two separate events- The religious part, and the celebratory part. I'll explain...
In a traditional Jewish wedding we perform a ceremony called The Chuppah. Similar to all ceremonies of all religions and colors, this is the part in which you become husband & wife. In Judaism it is mostly the husband that pledges and the wife accepts. The husband signs the "wedding agreement" which is called The Ketubah, the husband puts a ring on his wife's finger (there isn't a mutual ring exchange), and at the end the husband breaks a glass. The wife simply stands there to accept it all. That's not really what defines my someone and myself, but in the state of Israel, though it's a democracy, religion still takes a huge part, and when it comes to marriage, there is a big difference in the benefits and rights you get as a couple if you were married religiously (and that means by an Orthodox Rabbi and not Reform Rabbi). The problem with having the Chuppah performed by an Orthodox Rabbi is that it affects the entire wedding- If you get married on Friday, the wedding needs to end before the Shabbat enters, you cannot marry on Saturday, you must serve Kosher food, and you must serve Kosher beverages.
My someone and I are not religious at all, but we understand that it would be to our benefit to have our ceremony performed by an Orthodox Rabbi. Our compromise- we split the wedding in two. The first part is the Chuppah, which will be held at my someone's parents house on Nov. 11th, 2011 (11.11.11). It will be a small gathering of just immediate family, and we'll be serving lunch right after the ceremony. The second part is the wedding celebration to which we'll be inviting family and friends, and that would be on May 25th, 2012. We would still have a ceremony at the wedding but this time it will be non-religious and a good friend of ours will be performing it. This way the wedding can go on well into the night, on a Friday night, and we don't have to worry about Kosher food or beverages.
We're busy organizing the first event which is fast approaching!

3 comments:

LuLu Kellogg said...

This is so exciting dear Tali! I can't wait to see photos and hear all about it!

I am just over the moon happy for you both!

Love,
LuLu~*xoxo

andrea despot said...

Wow, that's so exciting that you'll be officially married so soon! I'm so excited for you, Tali! Oh, and your wedding ceremony is only 4 days after my birthday :)

Unfortunately Sean and I still don't have any plans yet. So I guess we'll be engaged for a few years... He still has 2 years of school left, and all of our family live far away and far apart. I have no idea what/when/where we'll be able to do it when we finally start planning. Part of me just wants to go to City Hall and get married now. But then again... I do want to walk down the aisle to him in a white dress with our families present!

Shannon of ** Happiness Is...** said...

End of August?? Seriously, how did I miss this? I secretly love that you're not spending a year to plan a wedding like I am. I think it might take a lot of stress off, no? Anyway, I'm over the moon excited for you. You deserve all the happiness in the world!! xo

ShareThis